Childcare Funds

Funds may be available to provide some assistance to help you meet the cost of formal and registered childcare for timetabled sessions where the cost is not already met by other funding sources such as free nursery places for 3-5 year olds, Lone Parent Childcare Grant, New Deal for Lone Parents or the childcare element of Working Tax Credits.

FE & HE Lone Parent Childcare Grant

In the first instance, Lone Parent Childcare Grants (maximum £1,215) will be prioritised from the funds allocated to the College.

Thereafter, applications to the College Discretionary Childcare Fund from students who are using the Happitots Nursery on Campus will be supported.

Applications from students using other providers – nurseries or registered childminders – may be supported if the on site facility is fully subscribed or if Happitots are unable to accommodate these children for other, genuine reasons.

College Discretionary Childcare Fund

College discretionary childcare funds are cash limited and there can be no guarantee that costs can be met.  If you wish to apply for support with the cost of registered childcare you should do so immediately you enrol on a College course.  You cannot claim assistance if a family member or a friend looks after your child.  Registered providers include: After-school Clubs, Breakfast Clubs, Childminders and Nurseries.  The maximum that will be paid to any one student is £7,500 over an academic year, including the Lone Parent Childcare Grant.

All applications to the College discretionary childcare fund will be assessed on the basis of need and therefore household income and savings will be taken into account.  Other childcare support already being claimed (eg Lone Parent Childcare Grant, Free nursery places for 3-5 year olds, childcare element of Working Tax Credit) will be deducted prior to an award being made.  Applicants must be

  • (FE & HE) past compulsory school leaving age
  • (FE) eligible under residency rules
  • (HE) UK domiciled or eligible for full student support
  • (FE) attending a fundable course as a fundable student
  • (HE) attending an eligible full-time course of study

Students who are not eligible for support (see above) under the childcare funding regulations may be eligible to make application under the College Discretionary Fund regulations.

Application forms are available in the Advice Centre from the start of term.

Hardship Funds


Students who are experiencing hardship as a direct result of undertaking a College course may apply for assistance from the College through the FE or HE Discretionary Funds. Applications for support from this fund are means tested and based on need. These funds are cash limited, so it’s important to apply early.

Priority categories for support are different for FE and HE students:
FE:  students in their own accommodation, care leavers, students with dependant children, students facing financial difficulties
HE: students with dependant children, care leavers, part-time students, final year students

It is important to complete the application form in full and submit all relevant documents to ensure your applicaiton is assessed quickly and accurately.

Advance Loan

Limited funds are available to assist students who are experiencing temporary hardship whilst waiting for their funding application to be processed. The Funding Advance Loan will be targeted to those students deemed to be in most need ie those with housing and/or childcare costs. All applicants are interviewed. All Funding Advance Loans must be repaid when maintenance funding is received.  Failure to repay will mean that course results will not be processed until the amount loaned has been cleared.

Application forms are available in the Advice Centre from the start of term.